Thursday, February 26, 2009

Old Fashioned



Another day, another thought. And today I'm thinking about the term "old fashioned." It is often used to describe someone in a negative way, and I'm not quite sure why. True, I used to call my mother old fashioned and tell her she just needs to "get with the times" (during those unfortunate teenage years) but now I find that I am in fact old fashioned - and very proud to be so. Now that I'm married I love cooking dinner every night and setting the table, doing the dishes (have to admit I've always loved that), picking up the house - making our house a home. Laugh all you want but I have many a time rushed home after work, cleaned up the kitchen, turned on just the right amount of lights to make the house welcoming and made our bed, all of this with my very high heels and pearls still on. Just this morning, I had the pleasure of making breakfast for my husband before he went off to work and I loved it. There is something very rewarding and comforting about being able to take care of your home and husband. Nowadays though, so many people see this desire as negative or demeaning to women. Because I like to cook and clean I am some how a mindless 1950's housewife who only gets excited about her new washing machine or refrigerator (note picture above.) I can't possibly be intelligent or driven, and I certainly don't have anything interesting to add to the conversation. Might as well just keep me in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. Pardon my language, but this is crap. I am a college-educated woman who works hard all day long to make my own money and I always have. I can't imagine staying home all day and being just a housewife right now - I would lose my mind. But having said this, I still embrace "old fashioned" values - only old fashioned because for some reason people have shunned them completely. I know feminism played a big role in us losing these values, and I'm all for women getting ahead - trust me I am - but there is no reason why we cannot still acknowledge the traditional roles in marriage and embrace them. Call me old fashioned all day long, but I'm proud of the way I am. I'm proud that I never lived with my husband before we got married. I'm proud that I cook dinner for us almost every night of the week (there are some nights that a nice, frozen pizza just really does the job.) I'm proud that I keep our house clean. I'm proud that I keep myself looking good for my husband. And I'm especially proud that I can do all of this and still have a job that I love and still do the things that I love doing, like writing or having dinners with my girls.


Today's entry may feel like a rant, but there was just some stuff that I had to get off my chest. To all the women out there who feel that they may be a little old fashioned, EMBRACE IT! There is something beautifully strong and feminine about being a modern working gal with old fashioned values. Or at least that's my opinion. What's yours?


Happy Thursday!


Quote of the Day: "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker


Tidbit for Today: Today's tidbit is a recipe! I created it yesterday and it's DELICIOUS! I used homemade hummus thanks to my friend, Annie, but if you're not lucky enough to be friends with her, store bought would work just fine.


The Ultimate BLT


2 slices of french bread, lightly toasted

hummus

3 slices of turkey bacon, cooked and crisp

lettuce

1 small tomato, sliced

3 thin slices of brie, at room temperature


Spread hummus on each piece of your french bread. Place the lettuce on one side of the bread, top with the tomatoes, followed by the bacon and then the slices of brie. Place the other slice of bread on top and press down to hold it all in place. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh I love you, Mrs. Cryder!! (I hope I'm not revealing your true identity to anyone out there in the blog world...hehe) Oh, and your BLT looks mighty delish!

    P.S. So far, you are waaaay better at the blogging thing than I am. Two posts, in two days? Niiiice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm telling you - the BLT was delicious because of the hummus!!! SOOO GOOD!!! I've almost eaten it all!

    ReplyDelete