Thursday, March 19, 2009

Make Time

Last night, I had an extremely painful yet fortunate chance to say goodbye to a very close family friend. She has been battling brain cancer for 16 brave months and now doctors say she only has a few days left. As I type this I'm getting choked up thinking about what a wonderful person the world is about to lose and how unfair it is. But if death teaches us anything it's that life is precious and sometimes short and it should never be taken for granted. The amazing things this woman accomplished during her time on her earth are mind-boggling. The thousands of lives that she's touched are forever changed and so many people will be forever grateful that they had the opportunity to know such a wonderful woman. She is, simply, what I aspire to be - smart, beautiful, kind, headstrong, compassionate, loving and above all a great friend no matter what.

I watch as her friends gather together to say their last goodbyes and band together as a group to keep each other strong. Her memory will live on through them, and what a wonderful thing that is. It makes me think of my friendships and how precious they are. Simple things like girls' nights and sweet notes to each other are so important because if you have a strong group of friends, you can do anything. Seeing these women rally around their friend in her final days reminds me to never take my friendships for granted. Always comfort a friend in need. Send flowers or a nice note to a friend for no reason other than to say hello. Keep in touch with friends who have moved away. Make time for your friends, even if you only have time to grab a quick cup of coffee once a week. These things are important because one day your time is up. And when that moment comes I know I don't want to have any regrets or think "If only I had done this." Life and time are fleeting and we must make all the memories we can before we have to say goodbye.

Quote of the Day: "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone." - Dorothy Parker

Tidbit for Today: Go out and buy some nice stationary with your name or monogram on it and use it not only to write thank-you notes but also to write letters to your friends who you don't get to see or talk to that often. A letter is so fun to receive in the mail, even it's short, and it's a very personal and touching way to stay in touch.

1 comment:

  1. Liza,
    I just discovered your blog as the result of an email from Annie Bohanon about this entry. It is beautifully written and I love your Dorothy Parker quote. But then I found myself reading all of your entries. Great Stuff!!! As a friend of your mother's, I am amazed at how relevant your thoughts are to me despite the considerable difference in our ages. And do keep up the cooking. You would probably enjoy gardening too. There is just something about digging in the dirt...

    ReplyDelete